The Centre for Children and Youth
Teen Challenge Int.
Teen Challenge International
We are part of an International Christian organization Teen Challenge International that helps people from addiction abuse. It was founded in the US in the 1950s and has become widespread across the world. It was established in the Czech Republic in 1994 and operates contact centres, resocialization centres and children’s centres.
Why the Centre for Children and Youth
The Centre for Children and Youth was founded in the Prague – Žižkov district in 2001. The centre´s specific aim is to help children and youth that are in direct risk of drugs, crime, social exclusion and other undesirable occurrences that they face.
Efforts are made to provide as comprehensive care as possible to children and young people, from hygiene, food, clothing, to tutoring, assistance in writing assignments, leisure activities to specifically targeted prevention programmes (alcohol, bullying, truancy, drugs, smoking, crime, etc.)
Who we are here for
The target group is children and young people from 3 years to early adulthood and their families who are at risk of social exclusion. Most of our clients are Roma, from socially disadvantaged conditions, often from broken families, with little support in their efforts to get an education and integrate into society.
What are our goals and how we achieve them
Our aim is not only to help these children and teenagers avoid the incidents that devastate a person’s life, but to base their future on right values and attitudes, to take responsibility for themselves and integrate into society and lead full and meaningful lives.
We believe that every person needs God in his life, His love and forgiveness, which is why Christian education is also a part of our program.
- We organize regular leisure activities that teach children to spend their free time in a safe manner.
- We support clients in their educational development and labor market (we prepare preschoolers for their enrolment, we offer tutoring, we support and encourage children in their school attendance, we help in secondary school selections, we provide necessary study aids, we help graduates integrate into the labor market)
- We offer pastoral care (individual interviews to solve specific problems of the individual) as well as assistanceand practical help.
- Christian education is also a part of our programs, children get acquainted with Christian principles and values.
- Through joint events, we connect children and teenagers with peers from the mainstream society, many of which have already built good friendships.
- We offer families material (teaching aids, medicines, clothes, food from food banks) and practical help (escorting to court, to offices, moving).